• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Installing MultiPlusII / How to Disconnect Factory Charger

Focker

I am working on adding 2 solar panels, a new solar controller and a MultiPlus II this week. What would be the proper procedure to disconnect the factory charging system so the MultiPlus II can handle those duties?

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
I just switched the breaker off for the converter. If you wanted to go a step further, you could remove the red wire from it at the bottom of the fuse panel. I believe there are 2 there so take care to remove the one coming from the converter board and not the one that leads out to the battery as you still need to get DC power from the battery and the new system, back into the fuse panel.

Where do you plan to install your batteries and your MultiPlus-II?

Focker

Hey Jim, plan is to install all the goodies on the area to the left if you were looking in the pass through on the door side. I am going to see if there is room to move the batteries behind that panel somewhere or they will reside up from where they currently are.
This is the overall plan:
Adding 2 solar panels, Multiplus II, Victron 150/100 (already swapped the Renogy out for this), Lynx Distributor, Cerbo GX-S with a display, and some additional LiPo juice for a total of 4 batteries.

Sounds like the easy way to shut down the charger is just turn off a breaker, I like that, thank you for the tip!

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
I'm not familiar with the basement arrangement in your Valor but I know a lot of Paradigm installs get done just like you're planning with the gear on that wall and the batteries behind the wall.

If this is your first time doing this and want to chat by phone to share ideas, I'm open to that - 574-333-1153.

Focker

The solar upgrade and inverter install is starting to take shape and I now have a question. I will be switching from the Renogy shunt to the Victron Smartshunt. There are two negative wires on the load side, one goes to the metal wall for a frame ground and I am not sure what the other does. Any idea what it is for and if it should be wired differently with the new shunt?

Attachments

• tempImagevPlVc1.png
    tempImagevPlVc1.png
    3 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3475.jpg
    IMG_3475.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
The solar upgrade and inverter install is starting to take shape and I now have a question. I will be switching from the Renogy shunt to the Victron Smartshunt. There are two negative wires on the load side, one goes to the metal wall for a frame ground and I am not sure what the other does. Any idea what it is for and if it should be wired differently with the new shunt?
The other ground lead from the load side of the Renogy shunt looks like it goes through that bulkhead wall and into the underbelly area. My guess is that this is coming from the fuse panel.

My advise us to connect both those leads to your Victron shunt load side. Even better may be to use a bus bar and connect them to the bus bar and then the bus bar via a cable to the load side of the shunt. That way you'll have at least one more handy ground lug should you need it.

BTW - I am home all day Christmas day and doing some coach work. Feel free to call to chat again if you'd like.

Focker

I am now 99% sure that wire goes to the Renogy solar controller I am removing. I will call today and have a chat, the project is evolving nicely ;).

Reactions: TJJ

TJJ

I am planning a similar install on our 32rls less the solar for now. I am also adding the victron Orion DC to DC alternator charging.My diagram from the explorist site states to remove the existing charge wire coming from the 7 pin trailer connector as I will run new wiring from the tow vehicle battery to to the trailer via Anderson connectors.Where would this wire be in the converter?

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
I am planning a similar install on our 32rls less the solar for now. I am also adding the victron Orion DC to DC alternator charging.My diagram from the explorist site states to remove the existing charge wire coming from the 7 pin trailer connector as I will run new wiring from the tow vehicle battery to to the trailer via Anderson connectors.Where would this wire be in the converter?
Hi @TJJ - disconnecting the charge line for the 7-wire is good advice. I did this at the junction box at the back of the pinbox.

Focker

You might consider the Renogy DC - DC for this duty. It is one of the few things that seems to be superior to the Victron products.

TJJ

Thanks for the replies.I will look into the Renogy to see how it compares.

TJJ

Focker,just curious.How many solar watts are you adding?Please post your progress as I’m undertaking this project as well.Thanks

Focker

Focker,just curious.How many solar watts are you adding?Please post your progress as I’m undertaking this project as well.Thanks
I have the basic solar from the factory (2 320 watt panels) and I am adding two additional 320 watt panels. I am also adding additional batteries for a total of 4.

Kenny

I just switched the breaker off for the converter. If you wanted to go a step further, you could remove the red wire from it at the bottom of the fuse panel. I believe there are 2 there so take care to remove the one coming from the converter board and not the one that leads out to the battery as you still need to get DC power from the battery and the new system, back into the fuse panel.

Where do you plan to install your batteries and your MultiPlus-II?
Hi Jim, I’m putting a multi plus ll
With a battery battery protect and other Victron components . Stuck.. looking at fuse panel I see the two red wires coming from battery bay. One is switched and the other is constant. Then I see under those wires, two wires from converter to circuit board. One black one white, pos and ground. Question: where do i connect wires from battery protect to distribution panel ? Do I connect to the spot where the converter was plugged into meaning, the black and white wire?how this makes sense.

Attachments

• B614A609-7456-4A49-B5D2-91EE7EEBCDA5.jpeg
    B614A609-7456-4A49-B5D2-91EE7EEBCDA5.jpeg
    353.7 KB · Views: 17

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Hi Kenny,

I've never used a Victron Battery Protect, so I have no experience with it. Looking at the manual and some typical wiring diagrams for it, then looking at the manual for the power distribution center, if I'm understanding the operation of the Battery Protect correctly, the output terminal of it would feed your DC load center. I have some personal thoughts on how I would wire this up but would prefer to share them with you privately as my input here is from me to you, not from Alliance RV to you as this isn't a product we supply or support.

Give me a call at 574-333-1153 to chat by phone.