• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Inop furnace

Marc B

New 310rl and heater doesn’t work. Propane on, good fuse but blower does not start when after setting thermostat

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
New 310rl and heater doesn’t work. Propane on, good fuse but blower does not start when after setting thermostat

Marc - sorry to hear your furnace isn't working. Your best bet on this is to reach out to our Customer Service team in the morning at service@alliancerv.com / 574-226-0140.

Down the road, when we have hundreds, then thousands of users on the forum, some of these technical questions can get answered here by our more experienced and tech savvy owners.

Rob Boyer

RV Education & Community Outreach Manager
Staff member
Marc-Have you taken off the outside panel and checked to see if the on/off service button is "on"? This may be the issue as it certainly sounds like a power problem.

Rob Boyer

Staff member
Ok, that helps. In this case, if you feel comfortable I’d do a detailed inspection of the wiring connections that power the furnace. I’ve attached a 5 min video of our very own Jim Bonacci discussing the wiring of the furnace. When inspecting the area please be very careful as the furnace cabinet is made of a thin metal that can have sharp edges. After reviewing this information, let me know what you find. https://share.icloud.com/photos/0c3z7JdV0PYUfDNygsejPRCzA

Marc B

Great video, waiting for rain to stop to check. I believe it’s a power issue but now I know the wiring at furnace
Thanks again and will let you know what I find

Marc B

Unable to check wires du to No slack in wires what so ever. With thermostat set on heat no power to on/off switch. #9 fuse is good.

Rob Boyer

Staff member
92AF0F60-758C-4A7A-9F64-AB9608EA2042.jpegYou’re not going to get any power at the on/off switch unless the blower starts to run.

Let’s make sure that the thermostat wires are secure and you’re getting power there. Take the thermostat off the wall by tapping it up and pull it out until you can see the wires. Check the wires to see if they are secure and making good contact. See the attached pic. You’ll have 12v or higher depending on the state of charge at the red wire and when you call for heat there will be 12v power to the white wire as well. If the thermostat is wired good and you have good power, then the next step would be getting behind the wall in the cargo compartment to check those wires that are to right to pull out and the wires on the limit switch on the back of the unit.

Marc B

View attachment 160You’re not going to get any power at the on/off switch unless the blower starts to run.

Let’s make sure that the thermostat wires are secure and you’re getting power there. Take the thermostat off the wall by tapping it up and pull it out until you can see the wires. Check the wires to see if they are secure and making good contact. See the attached pic. You’ll have 12v or higher depending on the state of charge at the red wire and when you call for heat there will be 12v power to the white wire as well. If the thermostat is wired good and you have good power, then the next step would be getting behind the wall in the cargo compartment to check those wires that are to right to pull out and the wires on the limit switch on the back of the unit.
With thermostat set to heat, both red and white wire showing 12 volts

Rob Boyer

Staff member
Good that means the thermostat and signal coming to the furnace is working. This is where (if you want) you’ll need to get into the compartment behind the wall to verify connections with those power wires. Jim’s video discuss which ones. However, if all the wires have good connection AND the limit switch on the back has a good connection, then you’re probably looking at a new board as long as the limit switch is good. It’s a normally closed switch that will only open when the temperature exceeds a certain limit. You can use your meter to check continuity across the switch. You should get a tone as power at this point should pass right through. Also, check the tightness of the module board connection plug. If you want to stop at this point you can email or call service and we can get a tech out to troubleshoot it.

Marc B

Dealer was coming out today but cancelled . I was able to check red wire at furnace and when set on heat there is 12 volts coming from thermostat.

Rob Boyer

Staff member
If you have power to the furnace and the wiring is good, then like I said earlier it is likely a board or possibly the limit switch that is open or has a wire that's not secure. If you let the team know at service@alliancerv.com / 574-226-0140 they will ensure that you get taken care of. Happy Thanksgiving!

Marc B

If you have power to the furnace and the wiring is good, then like I said earlier it is likely a board or possibly the limit switch that is open or has a wire that's not secure. If you let the team know at service@alliancerv.com / 574-226-0140 they will ensure that you get taken care of. Happy Thanksgiving!
Would you know where white wire from t stat connects to blue wire going to furnace? Checked in middle ac unit and it connects to another wire in a 2 wire bundle and goes back into ceiling Have voltage at that connection but not blue wire going to furnace when t stat is in heat mode
thank you Happy Thanksgiving

Attachments

• E87AFD07-91A6-43D7-954A-E9A86E15CB47.jpeg
    E87AFD07-91A6-43D7-954A-E9A86E15CB47.jpeg
    546.6 KB · Views: 11

Rob Boyer

Staff member
I asked Jim Bonacci to look at your coach model in the plant. He said that there is an additional wire connection that you could check. It’s where he believes the wire from the middle A/C comes down and connects to the wire that goes over to the furnace itself. In all the cases he saw in the plant this is on the drivers side (DS) or off-door side of the coach and they tape it together with 8GA wires that are coming from the solar panel connection port. It can likely be easily accessed by pulling the DS rear panel off the pass through compartment. This is where you can check next if you want. If no voltage is present when the t-stat is calling for heat then it’s likely a wiring problem between the middle A/C and this connection point.

1638282581377.png

clark261

Why not entrust your RV furnace system to the professionals if you have only a rudimentary understanding of how it operates? If you take your RV to a mechanic shop, the professionals will be able to determine if your propane system has any issues or leaks. They'll be able to fix the problem before it becomes worse, which will save you a lot of money.

TheRayQuelines

Jumping in a bit late here, did you ever resolve the issue? I am having a similar issue with our furnace in our 372RK. The furnace worked fine last winter when we used it. Now it does not. When setting T-Stat to heat the fan does not cycle thus the furnace does not fire. No propane issues. Fuse at fuse box and fuse on back of T-Stat is fine. T-Stat does operate the AC unit.
Checked the Service switch and it is in the on position. Noticed the below orphaned wire?

Attachments

• Furnace.jpg
    Furnace.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 11