• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Going to the factory for repairs? Not a good option unless you live close to Elkhart

RockingRK

I see many posts saying how great it is to go to the factory for warranty issues. Well, I'm 885 miles from Elkhart. I'm averaging 8.5 mpg towing so the one way trip will use about 105 gallons of diesel; at an average price of $5.25/gal, that's about $550 in fuel cost. 13 hour trip means one overnight at $40 plus fast food of about $50. So one way is $640; round trip $1280 (not counting cost of meals, etc. while in Elkhart). Who eats that cost? Me, I'm guessing.

jayc

But if your repairs are serious enough that they can only be made at the factory you don't have much of a choice. Have you exhausted your options at your selling dealer?

bhidalgo

Having our own issues with our 310RL trying to get stuff fixed. Factory not an option for me. Mobile techs are too pricy for my pockets.

Trent Mills

I guess this is a general discussion. I would say it depends. Minor stuff I will do myself. Mobil Techs can do most of the other issues. Major structure, panels or large appliance replacement I would probably consider it. Especially if I was under warranty.
Plus, we plan to be travelling. We could be pretty close (several hundred miles).

It sure would be nice to have a factory (and service center) down in Texas (South and Central to contiguous US).