• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Furnace Runs for 10-15 mins then shuts off

Greg McCullough

Doing a trial run with the heating system as we are going to do some camping next weekend. Propane tanks are full and when you turn thermostat to heat the furnace does come on and runs for 10-15 mins. Then shuts off. I will cycle the thermostat on and off a couple times and then the furnace starts up and runs again for the same amount of time. It did bring the temperature up about 7 degrees from the time I started the whole process. What could be the issue?

dparsons

From your description, it is my understanding that the furnace does ignite, and it starts blowing heated air.

One possibility is that the high-temp cut-off switch is measuring an over temp condition, and then shutting the furnace down. One possible cause is a restriction of airflow (intake or exhaust air). Check to make sure none of your registers are blocked in any way. Check in your basement to see if any of the air ducts are kinked or otherwise obstructed. Also, check the air intake and exhaust ports on the side of your rig on the outside panel of the furnace. Is there any chance that bugs or other critters have obstructed these outside ports?

Another possibility is that there is an obstruction in the propane flow to the furnace.

Has the furnace previously worked normally, and now it does not?

Upvote 0

Greg McCullough

Thank you for the feedback
I have the dealer making a service call to check on things. I tried to remove the panel on the outside but don’t seem to have the right torque bit to remove the panel. I’m thinking a high limit switch on the furnace might be the issue as I left the thermostat on and I knew it had shut off but when I came out to check on it later the furnace was running again. So would have been in the time period for it to cool down and then start up again. Still getting good propane flow to the cook stove so not the issue there. We just bought the trailer so this is the first time using it. Not sure if the previous owner used the furnace last summer. Will double check all the floor vents and others what you suggested and see if that makes a difference

Upvote 0

dparsons

The cooktop burners don't require as much propane flow as the furnace. The fact that the burners are working does rule out a couple of possible gas flow issues, but does not fully rule out higher volume flow issues. I think a high limit switch malfunction, airflow obstruction, or controller board malfunction are more likely candidates.

Upvote 0
Doing a trial run with the heating system as we are going to do some camping next weekend. Propane tanks are full and when you turn thermostat to heat the furnace does come on and runs for 10-15 mins. Then shuts off. I will cycle the thermostat on and off a couple times and then the furnace starts up and runs again for the same amount of time. It did bring the temperature up about 7 degrees from the time I started the whole process. What could be the issue?
Is that heating to your set temp and shutting off?

Our 42v13 is running about 10 min or so and cuts off because it’s heating the trailer…

It’s 20* outside at night, right now and we are using 1, 30# bottle every 5 days.

Upvote 0