• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Can I upgrade water heater tank

castarod

I recently bought a 2023 alliance avenue 36brm and took my first shower. The hot water lasted less than 5 minutes so I suspect it may have a 6 gallon tank. Any ideas if I could simply swap out the tank with a 12 gallon tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
How long did the water heater run prior to your shower? Did you use gas? Electric? Both?

"Navy" showers will really help get you a complete shower. If you are on full hookups, running both gas and electric to heat the water will also help recover faster.

I don't know about moving to a 12 gallon tank. Perhaps look into the instant hot water solutions, those are suppose to offer endless hot water.

castarod

How long did the water heater run prior to your shower? Did you use gas? Electric? Both?

"Navy" showers will really help get you a complete shower. If you are on full hookups, running both gas and electric to heat the water will also help recover faster.

I don't know about moving to a 12 gallon tank. Perhaps look into the instant hot water solutions, those are suppose to offer endless hot water.

Thanks. The electric water heater didn’t work so I used gas. We had the gas heater on the entire time so I’d like to think it had time to heat the water. I’m taking it back to dealer to be looked at next week for the electrical heater. Maybe they’ll find something causing the water not to stay hot for very long.

Btw, I don’t mind the navy showers but I’m married and I live by the old saying, “happy wife, happy life”

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. The electric water heater didn’t work so I used gas. We had the gas heater on the entire time so I’d like to think it had time to heat the water. I’m taking it back to dealer to be looked at next week for the electrical heater. Maybe they’ll find something causing the water not to stay hot for very long.

Btw, I don’t mind the navy showers but I’m married and I live by the old saying, “happy wife, happy life”

You said it was on gas the entire time. Did it run long enough to turn itself off? That would indicate the tank has reached the correct temp.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
@castarod - once you get the electric side of your water heater sorted, note that when desired for even faster recovery, you can use the AC heating rod at the same time as the propane heating.

If your water heater tank is 6 gallon and depending on how hot of a shower you took, it would be possible to drain the water heater tank of hot water in that time frame.

bhidalgo

We seem to get more hot water when we use the Gas/Electric combo in our 310RL. Can usually get two showers done with minimal issues between the wife and me that way. As for the Navy showers, since I retired from riding Aircraft Carriers back in 2010 I REFUSE to deal with a cold shower anymore...LOL

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
We seem to get more hot water when we use the Gas/Electric combo in our 310RL. Can usually get two showers done with minimal issues between the wife and me that way. As for the Navy showers, since I retired from riding Aircraft Carriers back in 2010 I REFUSE to deal with a cold shower anymore...LOL
You should consider an on demand water heater. Do you stay in RV parks or boondock. If you do RV parks, that would be a GREAT upgrade for you can your wife.

Blitzkriegx

Same surprise with our first RV. We wound up just getting a RV water heater shower setup. Not ideal, but hey, hot showers under the stars kinda make up for it. For now, anyway...

Last edited:

kawboy17

I just installed an tankless water heater in ours and it was a very simple install. We don't boondock so it was a more sensible solution. I live by the saying "happy wife happy life" also so the endless hot showers for her was worth it. We didn't even use the tank that came with it because I knew it wouldn't be sufficient. Worth looking into.