• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Cameras?

Tgrfan2

We just purchased a 385 and looking at the camera and TPMS options. I am trying to decide if I want more than the rear camera and do I want it dealer installed. I have always checked my mirrors often. I wonder if side cameras would be a sensory overload.
The biggest advantage to me would be a right side camera, I think. The wife seems to always need to reach for the phone or radio every time I try to look at the right side mirror.

Trent Mills

I am getting side and rear cameras for tight spots and parking. I don't plane to use them when I am going down the road (that could change once I get them though.... ;-)

darrell

I find that I use the side cameras more while driving than parking myself. They are good for checking clearances and seeing someone sneaking up beside you.

HelotesAg

Darrell - can you tell us what kind of cameras you got? I'm interested in adding some. I'm hesitant to go wireless because I've heard that they can't keep up while driving, but I also don't necessarily want to have cables running over the roof. Not sure what to do. I've read quite a bit about the Tadi Brothers cameras - they look like they are a good product & company.

darrell

I installed the Furrion Vision S 7 four camera set. I only used 3 of them, but will use the 4th on another trailer I have. I have some connectivity issues in slow or really heavy rain, but it still works plenty well going down the road. I find that at night the side cameras are not as useful to me when parking, but during the day they are all pretty good.

HelotesAg

Thanks Darrell! Did you tap into the existing side marker lights to power the side view cameras? On the Alliance, it's a flush mount round light - not the typical bubbled-out rectangular thing. I'm curious what your solution was there. thanks again!1

bhidalgo

I have a 3-camera Haloview system and replaced the two lighted yellow markers up front by our propane doors with two of the remote side cameras. They DO shake somewhat since it's aluminum siding somewhat attached to a backer board. But, having that view while driving, along with the camera out back is nice. And safer to keep an eye on things.

darrell

Thanks Darrell! Did you tap into the existing side marker lights to power the side view cameras? On the Alliance, it's a flush mount round light - not the typical bubbled-out rectangular thing. I'm curious what your solution was there. thanks again!1
I pulled the lights off and replaced them with the camera lights. Took a little cleanup but worked well.

I want to install the 3 camera Furrion system. I pulled the plug in the rear and found a red and a white wire. What do I need to do to connect them to the camera plug?

HelotesAg

I cut the plug that came on the Furrion off and soldered the wires from the camera to the red/white wires coming out of the back of the trailer.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
We just purchased a 385 and looking at the camera and TPMS options. I am trying to decide if I want more than the rear camera and do I want it dealer installed. I have always checked my mirrors often. I wonder if side cameras would be a sensory overload.
The biggest advantage to me would be a right side camera, I think. The wife seems to always need to reach for the phone or radio every time I try to look at the right side mirror.

My experience with side view camera is that I rarely used them. This could be from experience and reliance on using my mirrors. I have another friend who pretty much felt the same way after he added side-view cameras on his 5th wheel.

One thing that could be useful to some , is with cameras on the sides, front and rear if they were recorded. When my setup is done, I'll have front, rear and side cameras for observation, recording and when desired, motion notification.

I cut the plug that came on the Furrion off and soldered the wires from the camera to the red/white wires coming out of the back of the trailer.
Thanks for the reply. I was considering that and it would save a lot of time. How did you align the wires, red to red and black to white? Does it make a difference? Thanks again and safe travels.

HelotesAg

I was afraid you'd ask that - i don't remember. I think there was a black/white in the camera wire - so i probably aligned the whites. Not sure if it would make a difference or not, but i know with the display you can flip the image, so if that's the difference, you can work around it.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Thanks for the reply. I was considering that and it would save a lot of time. How did you align the wires, red to red and black to white? Does it make a difference? Thanks again and safe travels.
A multimeter is your friend on this. Happy to talk you through this test if you want - 574-333-1153.

RockingRK

Here's a really expensive option. :LOL: Buy a 2022 Chevy Silverado (or GMC Sierra) with the HD Surround Vision option. With a trailer plugged in, when you turn on the turn signal, the camera on that side turns on giving you a view down that side of the trailer. Not much help parking, but great for checking when changing lanes. Love the cameras on my Chevy! (Note: I do not have the Chevy trailer cameras. They are really expensive and are not wireless.)

I have a Furrion wireless camera installed on the rear of the RV and have never had a connectivity problem. I leave it on when moving. Helps with lane changes as well.

One really nice feature by Alliance is the camera power switch inside the RV. Some other manufacturers set up the camera so that power is there only when the clearance lights are on. Just have to remember to turn it on before traveling.

Fishing Nut

As far as the backup camera location is concerned, the red wire is positive and the white wire is negative.

Just had the meter on the cord yesterday replacing the camera.

BTW stay away from Douxbury wireless camera set it's junk....

TJJ

I just installed the Haloview RD 7 rear view on our 32RLS and have to say the clarity of the monitor and ease of installation was easy.Yes I did have to run the repeater wire on the roof but I don’t see an issue with it at all.I get absolutely no drop outs or pixelation.I did have a Rear View Safety hardwired on our last trailer and that is a solid system as well.You just have to run a lot of cabling and connectors .

bhidalgo

We’ve also got the Haloview CA112 Wireless Remote Side Marker lights installed and love them. With the RD 7 and the side cameras we have 270* of camper coverage on the road.
I just installed the Haloview RD 7 rear view on our 32RLS and have to say the clarity of the monitor and ease of installation was easy.Yes I did have to run the repeater wire on the roof but I don’t see an issue with it at all.I get absolutely no drop outs or pixelation.I did have a Rear View Safety hardwired on our last trailer and that is a solid system as well.You just have to run a lot of cabling and connectors .