• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Black water (and gray water) valve issues

Ed&Syl

On our first significant camping trip ~ two weeks. Our itinerary included one overnight stop enroute to our first destination. I did not hook up sewer as I knew I could dump at our destination the next day. When I removed the dump pipe cover to connect the sewer hose, black water was in the pipe and ran everywhere. Not fun... So apparently, the black valve is leaking by and filling the dump pipe. Also, one of the grey tanks NEVER dumps anything, no water comes out. The other grey tank dumps pretty reliably. I am guessing that the kitchen sink grey tank does not get enough water volume to actually dump but after 4 days of cooking and washing dishes, I think it should have something.

Any thoughts on this? Our camper is a 2022 340RL.

CornCrib

What you're describing (water in the dump pipe) is a common issue in the RV world. Most mitigate it with an additional gate valve at the end. (https://www.valterra.com/product-category/industrial-products/manual-gate-valves/).
No water coming out of the kitchen grey tank could be either the gate at the tank is not opening, or it is blocked. I'm guessing the gate is not opening, because even if it was blocked, you'd think there would still be a trickle coming out.

J. Thomas

On our first significant camping trip ~ two weeks. Our itinerary included one overnight stop enroute to our first destination. I did not hook up sewer as I knew I could dump at our destination the next day. When I removed the dump pipe cover to connect the sewer hose, black water was in the pipe and ran everywhere. Not fun... So apparently, the black valve is leaking by and filling the dump pipe. Also, one of the grey tanks NEVER dumps anything, no water comes out. The other grey tank dumps pretty reliably. I am guessing that the kitchen sink grey tank does not get enough water volume to actually dump but after 4 days of cooking and washing dishes, I think it should have something.

Any thoughts on this? Our camper is a 2022 340RL.
If no water comes out of the kitchen grey tank, you will know there is a problem quite soon, as the kitchen sink will not drain, and will overflow onto the floor. If it does not overflow in a few days, then that tank may be plumbed wrong, and is actually dumping into the other grey tank somehow.
As mentioned, you need to get a "twist on" gate valve and put it on the drain outlet. Any or all of the valves will leak from time to time, and this prevents you from getting sprayed when you take off the cap to hook on a hose. Common problem on most all RV's.
Jeff

Ed&Syl

Appreciate the feedback - and particularly the product link - Cornpopper! Makes sense and I will be buying one soon. If you are a stockholder, congrats!

I had a SOB fifth wheel previously (2006 vintage) and honestly, never had this problem. Black water happens, I guess.