• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Bad smell in pantry, especially after dumping

Randy Dunaway

Hy all. Have a 390MP. We live full time, I dump once a week, and use happy camper every time. We get a strong odor from the pantry pretty much all the time, and after dump day for one or two days it is extremely unpleasant. I am pretty sure it is grey water and not black tank smell. Is there a way to track this down, i am wondering if a vent pipe is not connected properly or wrongly vented, etc. I order a small camera to drop down the vent from the roof to verify, but not sure what i would be looking for. Any suggestions or things to check is appreciated.

kfindley79

Hy all. Have a 390MP. We live full time, I dump once a week, and use happy camper every time. We get a strong odor from the pantry pretty much all the time, and after dump day for one or two days it is extremely unpleasant. I am pretty sure it is grey water and not black tank smell. Is there a way to track this down, i am wondering if a vent pipe is not connected properly or wrongly vented, etc. I order a small camera to drop down the vent from the roof to verify, but not sure what i would be looking for. Any suggestions or things to check is appreciated.
I have a 390 as well and I’m having the same issue. I haven’t found the “source” yet but I would love to know if anyone has.

Whitewolf

We have a 340 and had a similar problem. For us it turned out that the vent pipe to one of the grey tanks wasn't hooked up. It was separated in the wall.

Randy Dunaway

I have a 390 as well and I’m having the same issue. I haven’t found the “source” yet but I would love to know if anyone has.
I found the top of my vents were below the roof line, so assume the gasses were leaking back into the RV. I replaced all my vents with the Whirlybird vent, plus sealed around them. Haven't had any issues since.