• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Anderson Ranchhand gooseneck adapter

We are looking at purchasing a used 340RL that has a ranchhand gooseneck adapter installed. It is rated much higher than the 340RL specs. Would this work for us? Towing with a 22 3500 silverado CC LB SRW.

Attachments

• 20220611_125731.jpg
    20220611_125731.jpg
    673.5 KB · Views: 7

Whitewolf

It should work. I don't think you'd need that adapter since you already have a long bed. You might want to contact Alliance just to see if using an Anderson would void the frame warranty. Just a thought.

I know that the extension is for a short bed, but I asked Anderson hitch if there would be an issue. They don't see an issue, it will change my turning radius. We are buying the 2021 340RL used, so we really don't have any warranties. This is our first 5th wheel, I am just trying to save where we can. Goose ball $ versus an hitch $$$. I will ask Alliance. Thanks

Whitewolf

I used a Reese GooseBox on our last 5r for 8 years with out any problems. I know some Alliance owners are using Gen-Y gooseneck hitches and like them. Reese has shocks and Gen-Y has a shock like system. Both are designed to smooth out the ride and protect the frame. I agree contacting Alliance, warranty or not, is a good option. When we bought our 340 I went with a conventional hitch. So far, so good. 😁

RockingRK

I towed gooseneck horse trailers for nearly 20 years. Have a B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch in my 2022 Silverado 3500 HD DRW for towing my 2022 390MP. I'm now a big fan of 5th wheel hitch vs gooseneck. Just my opinion. I know others prefer the gooseneck. I'm never going back.

Do you have any Pros and Cons between the two? I have only towed by bumper with our TT.
My understanding is the gooseneck is more solid,, less noise than some 5th wheel hitches. Also, I've read that it could be easier to hookup to a gooseneck on off camber ground when we are boondocking.
We just bought a new truck and new to us rv, I'm just watching the budget. My first concern is always safety first. But if I can save a thousand or 2 and not jeopardize the safety of towing, why not for now since the gooseneck adapter is already installed and part of the sales price.
Since you have the same box as my 3500 SRW, was or is there any issues with the taller bed sides? Thanks

RockingRK

Again, these are my opinions and others may disagree.

The gooseneck is not more solid; the fifth wheel hitch "captures" the pin more securely and allows significant articulation both side to side and front to back. Fifth wheel trailers are designed to carry the hitch load through a pin box. The gooseneck adapter changes the geometry of how the load is distributed quite dramatically. If you look at a gooseneck horse trailer there is considerable "webbing" along the hitch to distribute the load. The gooseneck adapter changes that to a point load. The offset you have creates a lever where the pin weight is behind the ball. My estimate is that situation puts an upward strain on the ball any time the front of the trailer goes down. I won't say that is unsafe, but would say "suboptimal".

My truck has the factory gooseneck/fifth wheel package which allowed for a drop in B&W hitch using cam locks. Very secure and not a permanent mounting. In fact, because the hitch breaks down in two pieces, I can take the whole thing in/out by myself. I'm sure there are fifth wheel hitches that suffer from "chucking" and noise. The B&W Companion is very quiet and there is absolutely no chucking. This hitch is great for off camber hitching. I have it set at the upper position and the clearance to the box is more than 6 inches and the trailer sits level. My truck is 4WD. See the attached picture that's my "avatar". I don't know if the same will be true for the gooseneck. BTW, chucking was always a problem with my gooseneck horse trailers. Another part of that solution is the Curt Roto-Flex pin box which also absorbs a lot of the motion.

You are correct that changing over will be expensive. Roto Flex will set you back around $700 and the B&W hitch another $1200. Ouch.

If you stay with the gooseneck, I will offer the thought that perhaps you should change the bottom part of the gooseneck adapter to the straight version which is compatible with your long bed and would eliminate the weight being behind the ball.

Best wishes and hope this helps.Lulus Parking Lot - 123021.jpg

I appreciate your explanation with your experiences with the hitch versus gooseneck. I do like that the companion breaks down into 2 pieces. I also have the factory gooseneck/fifth wheel prep package.

RockingRK

If you go with the Companion hitch, here are some installation lessons learned.
  1. Read the instructions. I couldn't find mine at first and figured the install would be very easy. They were in the second box.
  2. Remove the cotter pins and loosen the castellated nuts on the cam locks before trying to install the base. The hitch is perfectly flat; your truck bed is not. Loosening the nuts allows for this difference and is actually in the instructions!
  3. Once the cam locks are all locked, retighten the nuts a little at a time while verifying the cam locks still move. Reinstall the cotter pins.
Very frustrating to have 3 of the 4 locks drop in perfectly and one that won't engage. Loosen the nuts and you won't have that frustration.

Best wishes.