• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Alliance Paradigm 310RL - Can I run furnace with slides in

fsu1tm

RV is stored at my workshop and temperatures are supposed to drop significantly this week. It's always hooked to shore power. Normally in freezing temps, I'd go stay in the RV and run the furnace to keep the pipes from freezing but this time I'll be out of town. I'd also have the sewer line hooked up and drip the kitchen sink (with the gate valve open) to keep the supply hose from freezing.

Is there any problem running the furnace with the slides in? I would set it to around 40 or 50 degrees to minimize propane usage. I prefer the furnace in freezing temps because it heats the underbelly too, which is where the water pipes are located. I'm in North Florida and use the RV throughout the winter so doing the antifreeze thing in not a good option.

Thanks.

Whitewolf

As long as none of your slides and nothing else blocks a vent, I don't see a problem. I've done it in our 340 for a short period of time.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
I too have done this in previous RVs but not when a register is blocked by a closed slide.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
You might also consider, that you are venting the furnace into your work shop which will be introducing carbon monoxide inside your shop.
Very good safety point - thanks for pointing this out.

That said, personally, I love the Cheap Heat product. I've installed it in the past several RVs I've owned. Just haven't taken the time to install it in my Paradigm 340RL yet. This is an electric heat add-on system. So no combustion as there is no propane usage when in Electric mode. In practice with this product, I try to use the Electric mode whenever practical. And propane when needed.

Note that Cheap Heat isn't specifically approved by Suburban as an approved add-on to their furnaces. Alliance RV neither approves or disapproves of its use.